Sometimes I feel like the pictures on the blog show our “travel life” in only it’s prettiest states. Last weekend while I was “moving” us from one vehicle to the next, Forrest was cleaning up the Sprinter, and Steve was making us new cabinet doors for the Scamp I decided I should snap some pictures of the messy parts:
Sprocket was unimpressed by how busy we all were and appeared quite offended at how much he was being ignored:
Before we did anything to the Scamp, I took a whole lot of photos of it. The ol’ gal is in mostly original condition so we don’t plan to change too much but it’s always nice to document a beginning to compare with later!
Since we only have about 25 square feet of floor space, being able to use the existing seating in the van maximizes that space.
The swivels are 2 pieces of 1/8″ plate (This raises the seats 1/4″)with counter sunk allen bolts and a 7/16″ grade 8 center pivot with a lock nut. (Sheer strength is 13,530 lbs!) The center bolt is 1.5″ off-center to pivot with the doors shut. A spring loaded 1/4″ pin locks the two plates together in the driving position.
-Swivels are available commercially for about $500 and raise the seats 1.5-2″.
The first phase of curtains is completed. We bought a set of “thermal blackout” curtains from Target. They are grommeted (so they fold up tightly), match the interior of the van, and required minimal alteration (a team effort hemming job).
They do make it easier to heat up the cab when it’s cold, keep the heat in the bed area instead of going out the windows, and give privacy. They also look like they “belong” from both the inside and the outside.
The curtain rod itself is pretty cool. It’s a carbon fiber/Kevlar windsurfing mast.
Phase two, some sort of shades for the side and rear windows will be in progress this winter. (I need to make friends with someone in Southern Arizona that has a sewing machine.) I’m leaning toward panels with magnets to the sheet metal…
While I was playing in the Cabinets, Forrest hung out with Ezra in Oregon last week to work on the cabinets. It came back looking like a totally different van!
Not only did they add upper cabinets, they installed a new Fan-tastic vent, carpeted the walls, and built a box for the batteries under the bed to hold our 400 amp hour battery bank. We also have running water now!
There’s a couple storage cubbies under the bed for extra water tanks and tools:
The bed also can be moved aside so there is a 12′ cargo area for motorcycles, kayaks, building materials, etc. And the top of the big cabinet is a work bench.
A very special thanks to Ezra and Thomas for the great work!